Saturday, April 27, 2013

SHORTEN Your Song by MULTIPLYING It

Yes, I deliberately picked a blog title that "makes no sense".   But it will in just a few moments:
Have you ever been so PASSIONATE about a topic that you just wanted to write lots and lots of lyrics to draw OTHER people to be equally EXCITED about it? Which isn't pretty and "professional" wording... 
but you yearned to write a lot of song lyrics to ENCOURAGE.  To  help others.
To  INTRIGUE  others about possibilities for them.

But  ok,   back to reality:
How often do you see 12-minute songs on any CD?
Most studio producers -- including at both of the professional studios where I've recorded a total of over 300 songs (shared NOT to brag but to show I "know" something about studios) -- will tell you to try to keep your song around 3 to 3-1/2 minutes.  No technology reason.  Only because that's the norm.... because people might get tired of a song after 5 minutes!
Here's an easy,  tested solution:  a  Song  SERIES

Many audio programs like iTunes let you go into the "Get Info" section and, under the INFO tab, click a box that says "Part of a compilation."

Basic idea is to simply SPLIT A SONG  into separate songs with SIMILAR  TITLES.  And, since this is an "Easy Songwriting Hints" blog,  I'll share the easy songwriting method I've found to work really well.  The example I will use is from my newest song series from April 2013.

CLICK HERE      for  WEBSITE examples  (no registration or cost)

Song concept:   I wanted to put all of Chapter 9 of the Bible's 
Book of Nehemiah  into new music that I would write for it.  The ENTIRE HISTORY OF ISRAEL from its beginning until around 450 B.C. is outlined in this single chapter.  However -- it's a LONG chapter.
1.     I decided that I would write 3 songs for this song concept.
2.     Alphabetically, their first word must be the same for them to be grouped together in file listings.  I choose ISRAEL HISTORY  as the first two words of each title.
3.     Then I had 2 choices:  Either put a NUMBER next in the title ("Israel History 1 Subtitle")   OR, to have the 3 files appear in order in any media program or computer file list,   contrive (or "strategize" - yep that sounds 'smart') to have subtitles in alphabetical order.
My choices:  ISRAEL HISTORY BEGINNING   (Nehemiah 9: 1-15)
                     ISRAEL HISTORY DRIFTING      (Nehemiah 9: 16-29)
                     ISRAEL HISTORY GATHERING  (Nehemiah 9: 30 - end)
       
4.   Next,  you need something that is in COMMON within each of the songs, to give your compilation series some cohesion.   I accomplished several cohesion points: 
      a.   I designed each song to have 5 verses, all to be sung at the same tempo.
      b.   Verse 1 of each song is identical.... the first verses of Nehemiah,  words of praise.
      c.   After creating the basic music tracks for Song #1,  I DUPLICATED the project twice. Then re-named those to match the titles of Song #2 and #3. (Be SURE you like all that music first, so you do not need to put corrections into 3 projects.  For lots of hints for great music tracks, see my free blog DianaDeeGarageband.blogspot.com ).
      d.   I wrote the music sheet for Song #1 using my free-use copyrighted  Osborne TExt-Based Notation System  (OTEN) -- No fancy music programs needed for you to learn,  and any beginner can play music written with it -- no 1/8th note or rest symbols either.  THE MUSIC SHEET INCLUDED MELODY NOTES for Song #1.

      e.  After duplicating the music sheet ONCE and re-naming it for Song #3 (not 2) which would have the same melody as cohesion,  I deleted the lyrics for verses 2 thru 5 that had been in Song 1.  Then I simply wrote lyrics matching the 3rd set of Nehemiah verses.

FINALLY -- GIVE EACH SONG INDIVIDUALITY.

5.    I went into the duplicated project now named for Song #2 and added more music tracks -- an oboe for the melody not yet written (see below), additional "atmosphere" tracks, and so on.
6.     Then I did the same as step 5 for Song #3.  You can add any creative touch. When  adding tracks,  we often must REDUCE something to avoid an overwhelming sound. So as I layered in new tracks, I took down the volume or shortened original tracks.

7.     For the duplicated music sheet for Song #2 (Step 4e) , I duplicated the MELODY line of every line (see example), and then re-named the lower line from "melody" to "alto". 
Then wrote a completely different melody for Song #2 that is in harmony with Songs #1 and 3 -- another cohesion point within the 3-song series.   Then I deleted the music notes on the "melody" line to be ready to write NEW MELODY for song #2.

8.    Last, for each of the three songs, my drummer and lead guitarist will add individual creative touches of their own that gives a different feel for each of the multiplied songs:)
It's truly SO  much fun using strategies to develop new songs!   I hope that some of the hints on this blog  and my other blogs and website might help bring you
MUCH JOY   as you GROW  YOUR  OWN  MUSIC!
©2013 DianaDee Osborne;  all rights reserved - BUT feel free to share, with copyright info.