Friday, April 19, 2013

UNplanned Song Writing For FUN

SUMMARY of this blog:  YES-- YOU can write songs!    
You do NOT need to know music theory and fancy methods  that are detailed in books.  Sure, they might help you EXPAND your ideas.... but my whole purpose for this blog is to help you have FUN with music -- and to know "YOU CAN."

As I sit here today working in GarageBand,  "composing" -- sorta -- a new song,  I am having so much fun that I realize -- I really must share this joy with others!

We get so organized sometimes... so wrapped up in the "right way" to write a song.
So we plan a melody in our head,
write it out and plan the chords that will fit it,
and plan the music notes to fill in the spaces,
and plan which instruments will play the melody and counter-melody and fills....

**  Recently I heard a famous composer share on radio how he writes songs...  and wrongly thought,   "That's so complicated, I couldn't do that."
**  At a book store, I glanced through a book on how to write songs.
**  I remember from childhood my piano teacher trying to teach me how to calculate the "right" IV and vii chords to fit a melody.  And I must confess:

    I do NOT know "HOW" to write songs the 
           "RIGHT" way ....     whatever "right"  means.
Yet I have over 300 songs  which I composed and developed on my main website DianaDeeOsborneSongs.com
and some people tell me they're not bad.
                Not just family and friends, by the way.
 I know  to not depend on trusting such kind but  non-objective opinions!

I do not share this to brag.
I share it as an "Easy Songwriting Hint" (see how I work in my blog title !! :)
SOMETIMES ... maybe even often...   it's more fun to  just sit  at your instrument and play  "ANYTHING",  and record it. 
You can always go back and fix notes if this is
a MIDI instrument played on a controller keyboard,
as often done in programs like GarageBand.
(See my other blog, DianaDeeGarageBand.blogspot.com for more ideas.)

After you have recorded a basic track,  create a new track and play "anything" with another instrument sound -- I especially like flute and cello (violins played low).
Later, you can again fix -- or delete or ADD -- notes that fit better.

When it comes time to write out your music, you can either print a SCORE out of the recording program, or you can use a method like my TEXT-based OTEN music notation method   that uses NO music symbols on plain paper or regular doc files.
I myself in GarageBand select the main track (usually piano) and do a PRINT PREVIEW of the score... and from that I easily calculate what the actual chord is and record it
LONG after I had fun recording my new UN-planned out song.

May you have MUCH joy in the  freedom of not fencing your creativity in   with all planned music!
©2013 DianaDee Osborne;  all rights reserved - BUT feel free to share with copyright info.